Wednesday, January 03, 2007

RIP: Clapotis

Well, I never actually recovered the remains of Clapotis 2005, but after a good bit of walking (I broke in my new Minnetonka moccasins, a Christmas gift) and a fair amount of weeping... I've given up on her. Today I cast on for Clapotis 2007, and I had forgotten how fun the pattern was to knit up. I'll admit it is a little frustrating to be re-knitting a project that I already had checked off of my to-knit list when I have so many knits to look forward to making in this new year (for example, Rusted Root, Koigu's Charlotte's Web)... Not to mention, there's a cupboard full of yarn already in my possession... But Clapotis was my favorite handknit and a staple in my wardrobe.

As most of my friends and family know, I don't deal well with change.... soooo, I cast-on today using Noro Silk Garden colorway 34, a discontinued colorway out of which the original Clapotis was knit. I had about 90% of a skein left from the original, so I'm knitting away on that and searching for more on eBay. I can't recall if I used six or seven skeins, and now I'm wishing I kept better knitting notes. I always thought it was good enough to hold on to the ballbands, but now I'm wondering what needles I used, etc.

I thought I'd include a picture of Clapotis 2005, knit furiously during the week before I started nursing school. The original yarn was purchased on our first annual pilgrimmage to Arcata/Eureka in August 2005 following our move home to South Carolina in 2004. Now I have one semester left of nursing school, and I'm reknitting an identical Clapotis. Is that the opposite of coming full circle? Darling husband likes to call it "La Booty" whenever I refer to her in her fancy French name.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home