Sunday, November 19, 2006

Knitting and Spinning to Report - Dawn

Knitting and Spinning to Report

So this is a scarf and mittens knitted from my second bit of fiber spun on my very own spinning wheel. I'm so proud of them. I just couldn't resist the color when I saw it at SAFF and there begun my obsessive spinning. I think soon I will cease to be known my name and just become the fiber chic.

Next on the spinning and knitting list is more fiber bought at SAFF. 80z of Colonial Merino fiber which I plan on knitting my "first" Clapotis . Lindsey, how do you like the Knitty Knoddy? I'm sending one your way so you can measure your spun fiber. I just have to figure out how to package it and it will be in the mail on its way to you.

Yes I say "first" clapotis because as I started this one I found the pattern to be so much fun that I just must make another one. The process of dropping the stitches changes the look of the fabric so dramatically. From a solid piece to a lacy looking wrap in one magic step. I have finished the first Clapotis and will post the picture once I get some batteries for my camera.

So I spun all the fiber that I bought at SAFF and had to find a place in Los Angeles to find somemore. The only place I could find was in Van Nuys. So I jumped in the Jeep and headed north through unbelieveable weekend traffic. Stick and Stone did not disappoint and I bought more merino, a sandalwood color and I have plans for it that will shock I think. I won't tell you all now but it might not be thought as shocking for me but...more later. Here it is as roving...














and here it is on the spool...














and here it is spun into a wonderful hank of yarn. I think it probably is at a sport weight and much more even than the orange fiber.

And not only have I been spinning, but also knitting. Jeff was away this week so all I did was knit and spin my time away. My dad's scarf is nearly done. Mom and Dad sent me some additional yarn so the scarf will be a 60" in no time at all. I have one skein left. Other knitting is the Brea Bag from Borrocco out of some stash Donegal Tweed which was part of the gift certificate from my students in Humboldt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home