Friday, January 19, 2007

Southern California to Southern Carolina

Clapotis is steadily growing... I'll spare you the progress shots since there are probably thousands on the Internet available for ogling. I am knitting into my third ball, purchased off of eBay from Ewe Need Yarn. I am very pleased so far... I just want her to be off the needles. We are getting a bit of cold weather... It's good news for us since the peaches need plenty more winter. Yikes for the orange trees out your way, though...

I cast-on tonight for Elizabeth Zimmermann's Snail Hat from Knitting Without Tears. I purchased this book some time ago, but I never got any further than reading and giggling... I'm excited to be knitting up one of her patterns. She has A LOT to say about knitting, but her pattern is quite sparse. I'm using Fiesta Yarns' Watermark which is 60% mohair and 40% wool. The colorway is exquisite... I saw this skein for the first time when I taught my last knitting class on the 11th. I literally could not get it out of my head. The colorway is called "Painted Desert" but it reminds me more of a seashell. It is a very muted variegated yarn-- whispery silvers, fleshy pinks... but none of the colors are really their own distinct color. The results are devine. I am very excited and as soon as it's finished, I'll go proudly out into the cold. The pattern is perfect for the yarn since it has a nautilus-like swirl. I should get it finished tonight listening to the new episode of Cast-On.

Here is my skein before it was made into a ball. I photographed it on the hood of Dana's truck in the last available daylight.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home