Saturday, August 25, 2007

Spinning with Judith MacKenzie

So Santa Monica's Fiber Fest has it going on(Beads, Quilts, Spinning, Knitting, Crochet). the fest is big enough to satisfy and small enough that you don't feel frenzied or at least I didn't feel frenzied.

The first day I shopped. Here's the list



1. Grafton Fibers double pointed 6" US 0 (Yea for beautiful needles)
2. 4oz of a Wool 70/ Chinchilla 20/ Silk 10 roving (Yes! I did just type Chincilla). A woman by the name of Donna is trying to prove that Chincilla is not a pelt animal and can be spun. It feels like angora rabbit. I haven't spun any of it yet, but I saw others spinning it and it looks easy.
3. 2oz Chasing Rainbows (Willits) Tussah 50/Cashmere 50 Pansies Roving.
4. 8oz WindWools Romney Roving, for which I'm think about a Baby Suprise sweater. We shall see.
5. 2 extra bobbins for my Lendrum

The second day was spinning with Judith MacKenzie of Teach Yourself Visually, Handspinning.
















I don't know about her book, but she is amazing. I learned so much in her class: Handspinning for the Hand Knitter. The most significant thing is that I now know the difference between a Worsted spun yarn and a Woolen. We spun semi woolen style with a Angora Rabbit/lambswool blend, Woolen with some buffalo/wool, and worsted with my favorite, Alpaca. She also showed us a sock spinning method. I definitely need to take more advantage of classes and perhaps really start going to the guild meetings.




My spinning is going to be so much better. The Eggplannt Lincoln is getting a revamp and I can't wait to start knitting with it. Before I was afraid because I had no idea for my handspun with standup. I really thought that disintegration was probably what would happen if I actually use it to knit something like a sweater. Well I was right. I was totally underspinning. The error usually is overspinning right? Well I under spin. I've already run all that has been spun through again and am on to my next bobbin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home